A fifth Mysticon will be eventually chosen in the second graphic novel of the comics.
"After the first Mysticons fell, defeating Necrafa, the Disk became dormant."- Queen Goodfey to Arkayna and Emerald, in "Sisters in Arms."
There used to be a set of Mysticons—two teenage girls and two teenage boys—who lived one thousand years ago but are no longer active. The complete details surrounding their inactivity is unknown other than Imani Firewing, the very first Dragon Mage,had ultimately sacrificed her own life in a final standoff against Necrafa and then-human General Dreadbane.
"We are the Mysticons, chosen by the Dragon Disk to defend the realm of Gemina."- Arkayna to the Astromancers, in "How to Train a Mysticon."
The latest quarter of warriors chosen by the Dragon Disk are the human Princess Arkayna Goodfey as Mysticon Dragon Mage, dwarven Royal Griffin Wrangler Emerald Goldenbraid as Mysticon Knight, and street urchins, the human Zarya Moonwolf and elven Piper Willowbrook as Mysticons Ranger and Striker, respectively.
Their first major objective is to track down and regather together the Codex mystical tome, long ago broken into four spellbooks and scattered across the Realm for safety. Each part will imbue one of the Mysticons with the power of one of four mystical spirit totems.
- Mysticon Dragon Mage wields the great power of the Dragon
- Mysticon Ranger wields the great power of the Wolf
- Mysticon Knight wields the great power of the Unicorn
- Mysticon Striker wields the great power of the Phoenix
- Mysticon... wields the great power of the
These animal totems are also reflected in the shape of their mask-like facial markings while powered up as Mysticons.
- Originally the Mysticons was to be targeted for young boys and the title characters were a quartet of boys. However, at some point, it was decided to shift the demographic to target young girls instead and the characters redesigned to be all girls.
- Their dark and far much stronger counterparts of are the Vexicons.